Aug 7, 2012

It came from the toy chest: Horde Witch edition

Yes! It's true, boys and girls! Nefty got a Club Eternia sub exclusive figure WITHOUT paying up the wazoo! I'd like to thank the guys from The Dubious Zone forums for making the contest where I won a free Shadow Weaver!
sadly I couldn't get my Fright Zone-esque diorama made in time, so once again I'm using Draego-Man's diorama... that I made long after reviewing Draego...
Spector: Immortalizing everyone BUT Glimmer in Plastic...
There are some things that shouldn't be released... Evil Lyn!! DO NOT Release her!


Yeah baby! The Horde witch is within my grasp! I should deliver a bit of background info on her.
she's a

character and I already ranted about how much it sucks having her as a sub exclusive...

That's Shadow Weaver the Reddish shadowy witch of the Evil Horde... is pretty much Hordak's Evil Lyn. That's why I think it sucks having her as a subscription exclusive... Horde Prime (who I'm still waiting for) is a better sub exclusive.

We should get on with the ratings part of the review 1 = crap and 5 = awesome

Articulation:
As you can see she's a floating wraith-like being... so only her top half is articulated. As a MOTUC it does hinder her score a bit. Also the way her cape works hinders her arm articulation a bit.
but it does look a lot better than DEM WINGS!!
2.5
that's about the one pose I could do while USING ALL of her Articulation points!

Paint and Sculpt:
Her sculpt is a bit underdetailed due to her Filmation Origins. She is pretty much molded in maroon plastic. but she DOES have some details in her sculpt. There is virtually no slop on Shadow Weaver.
4.5


She needs a stand for her book or some Shadowy coils of darkness...

Accessories:
She's got the Eldritch book from the Eldritch Mist (the Episode where Castaspella "kidnaps" Adam and he ends up helping out the rebels. She's got a wand from an Episode I can't recall now... It's not Bow's Magical Gift she also has a clear conical stand so she's floating a bit higher than the others. I kinda wish it  worked like a ball joint (like Orko's stand)
4.5


A Ball joint would have helped her gain more poseability on her stand.


Overall:
Shadow Weaver gets a 3.83 which isn't that bad. I shouldn't be too harsh with her, because like Marlena before her, she's just a talking head character. sure she did MORE than Marlena, but 75% of the time all she did was stand around and if we were lucky make some shadow coils... (which would have been a cool accessory) She's a glorified prop like The Goddess, Marlena or the Sorceress...

Just to keep the SDCC Swag thing going on here's a bonus review for the Hoverboard pin...
 BONUS Review: Hoverboard Pin Edition.
It's a Large Pin with the Save the Clock Tower theme from the Back to the Future Movies.
The whole Save the Clock tower buy a Hoverboard did an eerie foreshadowing to recent Mattel events: (Save MOTUC buy a sub! campaign comes to mind)
I cannot rate a pin like an action figure, but it's a pretty cool thing what Mattel did with this one! Last year's was something about Battleground Teela IIRC...


No comments:

Post a Comment