Jan 4, 2014

It Came from the Toy Chest: Nuff' said!

I'm tackling Standor... A Figure whose potential for rants is so big that I couldn't fit it all in the video review.
So, watch the video review first and THEN read the rest of the rant.


Don't worry, I'll wait...



Standor's role in the Universe:
Like I said on the video, I don't MIND Having a Stan Lee Figure in MOTUC's canon. It's the role that Neitlich, or whoever wrote the bio gave him.
Seriously, he HAD TO BE THE GOD? Why not make him the leader of the Cosmic Enforcers, or some sort of Gar Elder (or god)... Heck! Even the Creator of the Arachna race would have been a nice nudge nudge wink wink to his most popular creation EVER... I am talking of Stripperella, of course!

I understand that Mattel had some Business reasons to do what they did, but making Stan THE CREATOR of MOTU feels like a slap in the face to the people who were involved in the creation of Masters of the Universe! I mean, I know Standor is an obvious "butt-kissing maneuver" but making him THE GOD is a too obvious thing.




On Standor, the Figure itself:
As mentioned in the video, the  Limited articulation and the little nub on his back bug me. While fooling around with the figure's articulation, the Armor itself bugs me even more. It's loose, like Merman's and that makes posing him a bit of a pain. The "inflexible" shoulderpads make godly poses harder to do. While I know it would have been Impossible due to the tons of Legal red tape, a Thwipping hand would have been awesome!!



On Standor's lack of accessories:

It really bugs me that we have no Accessories for Standor aside the Glasses and the Helmet/Faceguard... uh thing. While waiting for this figure I have made sketches of things that could have worked as accessories for him.
I have added a few of them.

First I have a "Fountain Pen Staff". Since Standor's "Creative Energy" created the Universe, a pen is the perfect tool for a writer. Hence this idea for a staff.
I made a sort of Thwip hand at the bottom of the staff as a nod to Stan's greatest creation (with the art of Ditko)



 For some Reason I see Standor with a shield.
The Shield's shape began from the emptiness inside Standor's Headdress. From there I added some random to make the shield look less empty.













This one is my favorite of the Accessory ideas for Standor.
This is the mark III or IV of the Sword of Excelsior.
The Handguard has an obvious link to Standor  with the headdress inspired shape.

I forgot to save the shield idea which was loosely inspired by his Torso Armor.









These last two are more obvious nods to Stan's time at Marvel. The Th'Wp Shield is too obvious for me to explain.

The N'uffsed Warhammer is a nod to Thor's Meowmeow.

Now I'm not saying that they HAD to do my ideas... for various reasons:
a) They were thought of AFTER Standor was revealed.
b)A few of them might ruffle some feathers and have the MOUSE after Mattel.
c)The fourhorsemen could do something amazing on their own without my help!

BUT Standor is a bit bare bones as a figure... Kinda like Nettossa, but with a small difference.
Standor is a male figure and there are plenty of extra accessories that you could give him.
Heck even a repaint of Castle Grayskullman's swords could work for Standor.

I can see the potential of this character/figure, but not as an non-accessorized GOD!! It bugs me that Mattel didn't go ALL the way with this figure, aside the bio "buttkissing". I'm happy with the figure and have been goofing off with it for a while. The score was what it was, due to some issues with the figure, but It's a fun novelty toy!



No comments:

Post a Comment